Essential Competencies & Standards
Professional acupuncturists should meet the following criteria on completion of their training, incorporating all learning outcomes, in order to achieve the agreed professional standard of AFPA for membership and practice. (HETAC Level 7 standards for complementary medicine refer to these).
They should have an integrated knowledge, understanding and a systematic approach to care within the domain of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine.
They should be able:
1. To demonstrate
2. To identify
3. To recognise the limitations to current competence and to seek guidance in situations beyond experience or competence
4. To seek and understand sources of evidence to underpin complementary therapy interventions
5. To act professionally in a range of practice settings
6. To analyse existing research and conduct research in the complementary therapy field.
7. To take direction, accept criticism and use feedback to enhance own practice
Continued Professional Development
AFPA guidelines on Continued Professional Development as agreed by the Board are available on this website as is the AFPA core curriculum.